Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Cave

Things are never very tidy down here in the Cave, but Tucker and I are quite comfortable in our cluttered little world.  Click on the pics for the Big Picture (lol, if you dare.  Clutter-sensitive individuals may wish to refrain).


When the spirit moves me, it's always nice to have smoke.  And a place to pile stuff that I'll have to organize one of these days.  Or find a place for.  On the other hand, piles of neat stuff like this create an ambience that I'm quite comfortable with, thank you very much!


And from my desk, its comforting to glance over and see a nice heap of good tackle.


Oh, the desk.  Bartered from my friend Jamie.  Big old oak thing.  It has a great green top.  See it?


Nice to be able to just grab a hat and a vest and go.



Books are good to have around.  The un-digitized kind, I mean.


Art.  I have to be surrounded by it.

 



And a coupla dead grouse to round out the decor (PITA members not welcome here, by the way)


Maybe the coziest niche within the Cave's confines, the tying corner.


The bench.  I built it out of 200 year old longleaf heart pine, leftover scraps from the floor we put in the South Carolina house.  Isn't that wood pretty?  Well, it is, take my word for it.


For the most part, Tucker just hangs out.  He'll be thirteen in April.


Thus endeth our tour.  Just seemed like a fun thing to do today.  Instead of some sort of gainful activity or, dare I say it, money-making activity.  We'll do that tomorrow, right, Tuck?





28 comments:

  1. I just love this! Thank you and Tuck for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy! Hope your weather is turning around for you.

      Delete
  2. That room has a serious amount of character!
    Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuck and I appreciate the kind words, Ronan!

      Delete
  3. Great blog update, Gary! I thoroughly enjoyed the tour =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your Camp when its done, Howie. Now THAT will be a Cave!

      Delete
  4. Gary,
    Wish I had a spot like that. Glad to see that Tuck is still with you. He still looks great. I still miss my Lila. Hey, hope you had a great birthday and I won't say which one it was!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for keeping my little secret, Laurene!

      Delete
  5. Gary
    I enjoyed reading about and looking at the pics from your "Cave". Did I detect a copy of George Frederick Clarke's "Song of the Reel" and beside it I thought I recognised Clayton Stewart's "Life on the Miramichi" amoung the books in your library? I am suprised that your gouse mounts haven't been picked clean for tying some of your soft hackle flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, you sure did detect those books...I have a little "Miramichi" section in my library. For the time being, based on my "stash" of grouse remaining from bird hunting 100 days per year, the birds on the wall are safe.
      Glad you enjoyed the post!!

      Delete
  6. Gary~~You`re one of a kind! Great "guided tour " of your cave~ a true mans paradise complete with a beautiful dog! I will never cringe again when you enter my fly-tying /computer studio on the Miramichi LOL!!
    I do have one observation~ no sign of a beer fridge. . . . ??? Please explain, , , ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did this post just for you, Renate...I wanted you to see how neat and tidy your studio really is! There's no beer fridge down here so I can get exercise going up and down the stairs to the fridge out in the garage. Always very health conscious!!! LOL

      Delete
  7. Love it. Your fly tying desk is almost as cluttered as mine, I've fixed a sliding keyboard shelf from a computer desk to the top of it, pull it out and I have space for my vice, all the clutter remains undisturbed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great solution to the ever-present danger of having one's clutter disturbed, Phillip! And glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing Gary,. All things seem to be in their place, and I am sure you know where everything is when you need something. I love the chill pic of Tucker, maybe you will bring him to Canada next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Kirk! Tuck has the art of chilling completely figured out! I know he'd love Canada!

      Delete
  9. One hell of a collection there.
    Love the pipes and the brace of Ruffs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great man cave Gary! You need a dorm fridge and a disco ball to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that dorm fridge has alluded me long enough! And I actually have a couple disco ball motors that I keep meaning to turn into fly dryers, maybe I need to rethink their use!

      Delete
  11. shewwww, thought i was the only messy one, looks about as organized as mine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesen't look like clutter to me, looks just right! I hate digitized books.

    Rick

    Opps, Happy Birthday a little late.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A B Frost! Good stuff.

    Ditch the TV, go to Spotify.com on your computer. Listen to anything you want. I'll send you some pictures of my Man Room!

    Tuck is the perfect accoutrement!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to enjoying your man room, Rich!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gary
    Loved the tour of the Cave. Wishing you a Great Spring Season.

    Linda M. Leib
    lindamleib@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for the good wishes, Linda!

    ReplyDelete