Friday, February 8, 2019

Fulsher, Krom and Warren framed.

I have been fortunate that Charlie Krom, the late Keith Fulsher as well as the late Bob Warren have gifted many a fly to me.  I've been doing quite a few shadow box frames for various salmon-related fundraisers the last couple years with my own flies in them, but decided I needed to do one for the camp Bridget and I will be building up on the Miramichi.   Enter Fulsher, Krom and Warren (you can click on the pic for a bigger photo):


When it suits the framing, I like to use a heavy, textured artist's watercolor paper to mount the flies on (that paper is then mounted on standard mat board).   It goes through my printer just fine, enabling me to add appropriate text to the piece...in this case, the tyer's names.   Some of the texture can be seen in this photo:


I used one of Joe Tomelleri's limited edition Atlantic salmon prints as the art in the framing.  Seems appropriate since the salmon was drawn from life of a salmon Joe landed on the Miramichi.  I milled the frame from a backyard cherry tree.


Looks pretty nice on a white wall...looking forward to seeing it on a knotty pine wall in our camp-to-be on the Miramichi!


Cheers,
Gary

21 comments:

  1. Looks great now Gary, and will look even better up on the Miramichi. Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice tribute Gary. Fulsher and Krom were authors of my first tying manual.A later of my purchases was the Stewart book which has Warren tyed flies illustrated. I did manage to get Bob to autograph that book.
    I am sure this framing will look nice on the wall of your camp.
    Brian C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad that Keith and Bob are gone, but wonderful that Charlie still sends me flies!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work Gary, but i would expect that!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary, nice work on those...do you have any of Duncs flies framed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I had some of Dunc's flies to frame, but I don't! Wouldn't that make a cool framing?!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful gift! You can leave them with either Renate or Vince...and then there will be a framing of Dunc's flies on our new camp wall! Which I hope you will visit!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Got your email, Mac, good to go.

      Delete
  6. First trip will be June 16th.to the MSC....Fished at Vinces years ago during the "Classic" beautiful location...I'll take a look and see what I have......any thing special you would like?Dunc made up a presentation box for me years ago and I will be glad that someone who appreciates his work will have a few to enjoy.....would like to see the new camp...looks like it is downriver from Vince a bit....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be very happy to create a framing of Dunc's flies for you, too. Would very much be my pleasure to return the favor! And yes, we bought the most downriver portion of Vin's land and river frontage. So looking forward to spending much of our time there, among our good friends and wonderful river.

      Delete
  7. Gary,
    Very nice indeed! Your talent at framing is on par with your tying. I'm sure it will look great in your new camp. Thanks for sharing. Larry G.

    ReplyDelete