Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Remembering Bryant Freeman

 Bryant - who was one of those "larger than life" characters on the salmon rivers of the Maritimes - passed away last year. He was the world's greatest proponent of the Carter Bug for Atlantic salmon. I bet thousands of tyers and anglers learned, one way or another, how to tie and/or fish the bug. I met him, finally, back in 2016, on the Miramichi, where he gave me a Carter's Bug right out of his fly box:



Chris Williams, an artist and fly tyer from New Brunswick, created a beautiful image of the Carter Bug as a tribute to Bryant and as a fundraiser - all the funds from the sale of the print went to the Miramichi Salmon Association. I bought one, and then asked Chris if he'd consider donating one printed on good watercolor paper - I'd frame it - but we needed a Carter's Bug tied by Bryant for the framing. Chris contacted Bryan Burgess, also of NB, and Bryan stepped right up to the plate, donating a nice big Carter's Bug. The three of us collectively decided we'd donate the finished framing to the Atlantic Salmon Museum in Doaktown, NB (Bryant is a member of the Museum's Hall of Fame). So sometime this year, the framing will be auctioned to benefit the Museum. Oh, and yes, I made a duplicate framing for myself, with the Carter Bug Bryant gave me that Fall day on the river.





It's always fun to get together with like-minded folks, and do something that benefits a good cause while at the same time paying tribute to an all 'round great man.  Cheers,
Gary

5 comments:

  1. Great post Gary . I sure miss the chats I used to have with Bryant . Not to mention buying great materials from him over the years . Wish I had had the opportunity to fish with him though .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tribute Gary. Every time I sit at my vise and handle troublesome feathers I think of the tips he offered me. The last time I saw him I took a box of Carter Bugs that I spun up and he said " They should work but they are too tidy" ---LOL
    Brian C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tribute Gary, Bryant was an ambassador to the sport. We used to stay near Fundy while traveling through NB. to NS. for our annual trip. I would venture to his basement for hours, he taught me how to dye materials, make sauerkraut, and spend good times talking salmon fishing and classic tying materials. From dressed classics to Carter Bugs, I will always remember Banana Fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy The River's Course Gary.

    ReplyDelete