Wednesday, March 13, 2024

A Set of Framings of Marc Madore's Flies

 As I mentioned in a blog post back in January, I received a large batch of flies by Marc Madore as he had sent them to Ronn Lucas, Sr.   I finished framing 6 sets, which will go to the Atlantic Salmon Museum in April.   That man could surely tie a fly, and I love the way he sent them to Lucas, which I've been able to preserve in the frames.  

Importantly, I bemoaned the fact that I was worried about how his flies and writing would survive over the years on a framers forum I belong to (www.thegrumble.com).   Got many suggestions about using UV-blocking glass or acrylic, but that stuff is above my paygrade.  A gentleman in Florida who owns Sunshine Frames in Jacksonville, FL came to the rescue with a great batch of leftover cut-offs of Optium, the state of the art UV-blocking acrylic.   The flies and messages are safe thanks to his generousity.

Here ya go (click on the pic for the larger version):















It will be up to the Museum to add signage to bring context and meaning to the displays.  Fun project.  Now just have to get them over the border without those guys trying to get me to pay duty/taxes on them.

Cheers,
Gary

6 comments:

  1. Hi Gary
    As usual your work is impeccable!
    Best regards
    Jack Skelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent work Gary! really impressed with your work and the flies. Also, your ability to work over multiple social media platforms! there is hope for us old dogs yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and fingers crossed about that hope!!

      Delete
  3. Terrific work, Gary--. These are different in many ways--a little looser and more relaxed in terms of how the flies are organized--and the Optium is really the best stuff there is--. I like the color schemes here too--nice contrast levels--.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Joe! It was important to me to frame the flies as Mr. Madore sent them to Ronn Lucas, Sr. Pretty inventive ways to do things.

      Delete