Friday, November 24, 2023

Building a three cord firewood rack

Back in 2016, I finally decided to build us a firewood rack that would hold the three cords of wood we go through each heating season. Previously, it was the tarp method, which really was a PIA.
The dimensions to hold the three cords are 48" wide, 16' long, and 6' tall at the top plate. Here it is under construction:
I used kind of a quasi-timber frame construction:
The entire rack, save for the roof system, was built out of pressure treated lumber. The floor system is 2x6 lumber with joists 2' on center (no pic, but the actual floor is 5/4x6 decking):
I made my own roof trusses with a 6/12 pitch and a good overhang. As luck would have it, 4'x8' 7/16" OSB sheets fit perfectly, two to a side. Wish I could say I designed that purposefully, but, LOL, I can't. It just happened.
I added 5/4" x 6" decking lumber to the ends of the rack, and today, seven years later, it is still going strong:
WAY better than tarps!! Cheers, Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment