Thursday, November 23, 2023

Three framings from 2023

For some reason, it feels like I created more than three framings in the Winter/early Spring of 2023, but I didn't, according to my photo log. Maybe that last rod rack and building our camp have colored my creative memory, LOL. At any rate, here are the three framings...a commission and two donations. An incredible fly tyer from Pennsylvania commissioned me to create a framing that would be a present to his dad. He sent me a set of his salmon/steelhead flies, and an original Denton steelhead litho to build the framing around. It was a good project, and I was gratified to hear that the father was thrilled with his son's gift. The framing (don't forget you can click on the pic for a larger version):
The flies:
I asked one of North America's best streamer tyers, Larry Leight of North Carolina, if he would tie and donate several Cains River streamers for a project I had in mind. He didn't hesitate, and promptly sent me three gorgeous Cains streamers. I wanted to frame them with a map that showed the Cains river and a section of the Main Southwest Miramichi River, but couldn't really find one. So I stitched together pieces of the old Manzer maps as well as using google earth downloads and came up with my own hand-drawn map of the rivers. A fun project; felt like I was back in 5th grade doing geography projects (LOL, which was 63 years ago!). The map (which I printed on 140# textured water color paper):
The flies (you can see the nice texture of the water color paper in this view):
The final framing. Never did a triple mat framing before, but the colors of the flies almost demanded it.
Even splined the cherry frame on this one. Donated to the Miramichi Salmon Association's online auction, I was a bit disappointed that it only sold for $250. Oh well.
Finally, probably my favorite of the framings I have done to date: A Thomas Aquinas Daly watercolor with a fly tied by Tom. He is an old friend of mine, whom I hadn't spoken to in years, but I wanted to create something really special for the MSA-US Spring fundraising event, so I sent him an email, and he came through with flying colors. I've always loved and admired his work (I have several of his etchings and an original watercolor wash he did for me of a ruffed grouse still life) and thought this would be a really special addition to the fundraiser. The watercolor wash:
The fly (a Picasse, originated by guide Marc LeBlanc of Quebec):
The final framing (I used the platform method of matting the watercolor; there is no adhesive anywhere near the actual art).
I'm very pleased to report that the framing went to a very good home not twenty miles from our home here in Vermont; it sold for $2,000, which made all concerned very happy. Oh, Tom sent me a second watercolor, which will be available at the MSA-US fundraiser Feb. 3,2024 in Portland, ME. It will be framed with flies by the likes of Preston Jennings, Charles DeFeo and others. The watercolor:
Stay warm, and Cheers! Gary

10 comments:

  1. As always, great work! Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good words, Rich, and hope you and yours enjoy the day as well. Much to be thankful for...especially good friends.

      Delete
  2. ANOTHER SERIES OF SPECTACULAR EFFORTS-ENJOY THE DAY.
    JCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and hope you all got together today.

      Delete
  3. As good as it gets Gary. The results justify the effort. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your fine work and appreciate all of the great things you do for Salmon conservation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always great work Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take that as very high praise coming from you, Bill, thank you very much!

      Delete