Friday, January 19, 2024

A Few Warren Duncan Flies

 I suspect that there are very few folks that have fished Atlantic salmon on the Miramichi for awhile that haven't heard the name Warren Duncan.  I never met the man, but many of the anglers and fly tyers I know have many, many stories about him.   He was one popular, generous man who maintained a fly shop in Saint John, New Brunswick.   I won't attempt any sort of bio here; just google his name...he's easy to learn more about.  Warren died at his tying bench in 2007, an unfinished Rusty Rat in his vise.   Speaking of Warren and the Rusty Rat, one of his fascinating feats was tying a complete Rusty Rat in the little more than a minute it took him to recite Robert Service's The Cremation of Sam McGee.   I managed to hunt up a very poor quality video of Warren doing that:


The Atlantic Salmon Museum in Doaktown, NB is about to receive a few more of Dunc's flies for its collection.  They came to me (as a proxy for the Museum) via my friend Royce Stearns, who steered them to me while helping to disperse the angling estate of the late Ronn Lucas, Sr.    According to this note penned by Mr. Lucas, the flies arrived at his office (in 2003) completely unannounced - no note was included with them (don't forget that you can click on the pic for a larger version):


I think this first fly is his version of an Orange Blossom Special:


This is a Silver Doctor (thanks for the info, Jerome Molloy!):


Jerome also said that this is a Night Hawk.  And Jerome would know!!



Last up is, I believe, a Copper Killer:


These four flies exhibit Warren's flair for the overstated when it comes to flies for display.  His fishing flies were definitely tied more sparsely (although still pretty "full" of materials.   Courtesy of a gentleman from Maine (thanks, Mac!)  I have a small collection of Warren Duncan's flies:


My little collection affords the opportunity to directly compare one of Warren's wall hangers to one of this fishing flies...in this case the Copper Killer:


There are zillions of Warren Duncan-tied flies out there.  From what I can tell, he gave as many away as he sold.  I see them on various online auctions often; they usually sell for about fifty bucks each.  Some more, some less.

In the scant research I did to verify a couple things about Warren, I came upon a comment about his business card in a thread about his passing on the Speypages forumA close-up of his card reveals some letters after his name:


The fellow that was participating in that post about Warren wrote that he asked Warren directly what the "C.R.S., D.K.S." stood for.  His response:  "Can't remember shit, Don't know shit."   I do really wish I could have spent time with him.

Cheers,
Gary






2 comments:

  1. You are certainly correct n stating that he gave away more flies than he sold .. and sold many .
    Every encounter I had with him on the river he had a huge bow of flies and he was without fail offering them up to people he had known for a while or even someone who might be new to fishing or just trying it out .
    I v also seen the fly tying Sam Magee recital ….. find memories here .
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary
    I knew Dunc and miss him greatly. I had many discussions with him about materials and tying techniques. He taught me how to fold (double) a hackle without struggling. When I teach salmon fly construction I pass that technique to others and they are appreciative!
    Many see a similarity in my flies as compared to Dunc's. He had a very distinctive head as do my flies.
    I have many of his flies and my signed Undertaker card and fly that was the ASF's fly of the year in 1990 is framed and shadow boxed and hangs in my dining room.
    My Dunc flies are special and will never be fished, although that would probably upset him!
    Nobody tied a fly like Dunc and nobody could spin deer/Caribou hair like him. His bombers are legendary! I miss our chats to this day...
    Best regards
    Jack Skelley

    ReplyDelete